Both the employer and the employee should share the responsibility for assessing and improving ergonomics in the laboratory. A three-step ergonomic program includes:
- Finding the hazard
- Determining what improvements / changes should be made
- Taking action to improve the workplace
- Provide ergonomics education
- Provide ergonomically designed tools and equipment
- Allow frequent stretch breaks
- If possible, adjust work schedules to prevent employees from performing repetitious tasks for prolonged periods of time.
As an employee, you should evaluate the ergonomic practices in your work area.
- Understand the risk of injury
- Apply ergonomic principles to the performance of tasks
- Look for ergonomic hazards and improve the workplace whenever possible
- Recognize and report early signs of musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs)