Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Introduction to Quality Control
- Quality Control and a Quality Control Plan
- Which of the following may be included in a quality control plan?
- Quality Control Tools
- Statistical Analysis of Control Data
- Accuracy and Precision
- Mean and Standard Deviation
- Calculating Acceptable Ranges
- Calculating Acceptable Ranges, continued
- Coefficient of Variation
- Choose, for each statement, to what it refers to: the mean, standard deviation, or coefficient of variation.
- For a certain method, a control has a mean result of 12 with a standard deviation (SD) of 2. What is the acceptable 95% range for this control?
- Quality Control Charts
- Levey-Jennings Quality Control Charts
- Random and Systematic Error
- Random and Systematic Errors, continued
- Westgard Multi-Rule Approach
- Westgard Multi-Rule Approach, continued
- Responding to Out-of-Control Results
- Which type of error does each rule usually detect?
- A laboratory uses these Westgard QC rules as criteria for rejecting an analytical run: 13s, 22s, and R4sThe top chart is for control #1 and the bottom...
Level of instruction: Basic
Intended Audience: Medical Laboratory Scientists, Medical Technologists, and Medical Laboratory Technicians, Clinical Laboratory Science students.
Course Information: This course provides important basic concepts in quality control that are useful to laboratory personnel who report patient results. Topics include: precision, accuracy, random and systematic errors, standard deviation, mean, and coefficient of variation, quality control tools and an overview of the Westgard multi-rule approach for evaluating QC results.
Author information: Brad Westover received his BS in Physics in 2006 from the California Institute of Technology. He is currently pursuing a Ph. D. at the University of California, San Diego.
Reviewer Information: Alexandru Casapu, MBA, MLS(ASCP)CM, PBTCM has over 20 years of experience as a medical laboratory scientist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. He is the former Director of Clinical Laboratory Technology Program at Georgia Piedmont Technical College. He is currently a Program Director at MediaLab, Inc. Alexandru holds BS degrees in Biology and Medical Technology from Clark Atlanta University and a MBA from the University of Georgia.