Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Definition of Thrombocytopenia
- Signs Associated With Thrombocytopenia
- Which of the following is a clinical sign that is associated with thrombocytopenia?
- Conditions causing increased destruction and consumption of platelets
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
- Drug-Induced Thrombocytopenia
- Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura and Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome
- Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (TTP) and Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS)
- Laboratory Findings
- Treatment of TTP
- Which of the following bacteria is often linked to diarrhea-associated hemolytic uremic syndrome?
- Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
- Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIC)
- Clinical Signs and Symptoms
- Laboratory Findings
- Treatment of DIC
- Which of the following laboratory results would you find with disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) but NOT with thrombotic thrombocytopenic pu...
- Conditions causing decreased platelet production
- Diseases and Disorders That Affect the Bone Marrow and Decrease Platelet Production
- Patients undergoing chemotherapy treatments will have deficiencies in platelet numbers as well as red and white blood cells.
- Other causes of thrombocytopenia
- Variables that cause a false thrombocytopenia
- Preanalytic Variable Leading to False Thrombocytopenia
- Pseudo-thrombocytopenia: Platelet Satellitism and Platelet Clumping
- Importance of Addressing Platelet Variables
- Which of these conditions is associated with a pseudo-thrombocytopenia?
Level of instruction
Intended Audience: Medical laboratory scientists, medical laboratory technicians, pathology residents, MLS students, and other health care personnel who have an interest in this subject matter.
: Betty Ciesla, MS, MT(ASCP)SH is a faculty member at Morgan State University
. She holds an MS degree in Biomedical Communication. She has presented at national workshops in Hematology and Coagulation, authored several book chapters and articles on topics in Hematology, and served on the ASCP’s Tech Sample Committee, Education Program Committee, and most recently, the Hematology Examination Committee.
Barbara Caldwell, MS, MT(ASCP)SH is the administrative director of clinical laboratory services at Montgomery General Hospital
in Olney, Maryland
. She is also an experienced educator, having served as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in the Department Of Medical and Research Technology. Ms. Caldwell holds an MS degree from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. She has authored numerous textbook chapters, articles, and abstracts related to topics in Hematology.
Stephanie Clarke, MS, MT(ASCP) has been teaching Medical Laboratory Science at the University of New Hampshire since fall 2014 and has served as the Assistant Program Director since fall 2015. She currently teaches Phlebotomy, Hematology, Hemostasis, Immunology/Serology, and Case Studies in Hematology.