Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Basics of Immunology and ABO Testing
- Immunology Principles
- Antigen/Antibody Interaction
- Antigens and Antibodies
- Affinity and Avidity
- Zeta Potential and van der Waals Forces
- Agglutination Chart
- Antigens and antibodies specifically combine to form immune complexes. What term refers to the antibody's attraction to a particular antigenic determi...
- Drag and drop the explanation, description, or definition to its correct immunology term.
- ABO Testing
- ABO Groups and Frequencies
- ABO Testing and Interpretation
- Review the following test results and match the expected reaction pattern to the reported ABO type.
- ABO Typing Discrepancies
- Resolution Strategies
- Comparison of Testing Methodologies
- ABO Testing Methodologies
- Stepping Back to Resolve an ABO Discrepancy
- Case Studies: Resolving Discrepancies on the Bench
- Case Study Review and Performance
- Case Study 1An 83-year-old female is undergoing pre-op testing which includes a type and screen with a 2-unit red cell crossmatch. One 7mL EDTA tube w...
- Case Study 2A 38 year old female patient has a history of chronic anemia which has resulted in 4 previous allogenic packed red blood cell transfusions...
- Case Study 3 A 36 year old man has a history of gastrointestinal conditions including Crohn's Disease. He has been admitted to the hospital for a gene...
- Case Study 4 A 44 year old woman has a history of rheumatoid arthritis and chronic anemia, historically treated with diet and iron supplements. She ha...
- Case Study 5 A 48-year-old woman has been hospitalized with an infection of Mycoplasma pneumoniae. At the patient's request, her physician has ordered...
Level of Instruction: Intermediate
Intended Audience: Medical laboratory scientists, medical technologists, and technicians. This course is also appropriate for medical laboratory science students, medical laboratory technician students and pathology residents.
Author Information: Candice Freeman, MLS(ASCP)BBCM, CQA(ASQ) is an instructor in the Medical Laboratory Technology Program at Sandhills Community College, Pinehurst, NC. She has many years of clinical laboratory experience, mainly as a blood bank and microbiology technologist. She has also held the position of Laboratory Manager/Laboratory Administrator. Candice holds a BS degree in Clinical Laboratory Science from Winston-Salem State University and is completing a Master’s program in Education in New Media and Global Education, Instructional Design Specialist.
Reviewer Information: Barbara Cebulski, MS, MLS(ASCP)CM has recently retired as a Program Director for MediaLab, Inc., located in Lawrenceville, GA. She has over 30 years experience in the medical laboratory profession as a technologist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. She also was employed for nine years by the College of American Pathologists in the Laboratory Accreditation Program. Barbara holds a Masters in Instructional Technology from Georgia State University.