Engineering controls are devices that isolate the worker from the hazard of exposure.
- Needle devices with built in safety features (top image on the right), including the use of:
- Needleless systems when possible
- Self-sheathing needles and catheters
- Intravenous medication delivery systems using a catheter port with protected needle
- Sharps disposal containers (bottom image on the right)
- Disposable resuscitators (image below)
- Biological safety cabinets
- Hand washing facilities
- Splash shields
Proper use of engineering controls in your workplace will help protect you from bloodborne pathogens.