A DOA screen provides simple positive or negative results; it is qualitative, not quantitative testing. DOA testing usually starts with a screen and moves toward confirmation of specific drugs, only if the screen is positive.
- Is fast
- Is qualitative, not quantitative
- Is generally performed on urine
- Can be done as a point-of-care (POC) test
- Often requires confirmatory testing for positive samples
A variety of devices are currently available from several manufacturers for rapid urine DOA screening. Several examples are shown in the image.
Most laboratories will screen for at least the following DOA:
- THC (Marijuana)
- Amphetamine and methamphetamine
Some labs may also screen for tricyclic antidepressants, PCP, and propoxyphene.