External Quality Control, continued
- Validated material for the different testing areas in a laboratory (such as chemistry, hematology, and microbiology) are provided several times a year.
- Participating laboratories test the specimens and return results to the proficiency testing source.
- The laboratory's performance is then evaluated using the comparative method mean as the target value plus or minus a defined limit.
- In general, the evaluation report will show:
- number of laboratories comprising the peer group
- comparative mean of the group for that particular analyte
- the laboratory's performance compared to the peer group
- whether the performance was satisfactory or unsatisfactory