Make these common sense rules a part of your job:
- Identify hazards before you start a job.
- Ask your supervisor when in doubt.
- Know how and where to get help.
You should also:
- Learn basic first aid measures.
- Read chemical labels.
- Read SDSs.
- Follow warnings and instructions.
- Use the correct engineering controls and PPE.
- Practice sensible, safe work habits.
- Know your laboratory's CHP.
- Know the location of SDSs, CHP, and other laboratory safety materials.
- Know the location of the eyewash stations that are closest to the areas where chemicals are used.
- Know how to use the eyewash correctly.
- Know the location of spill kits.