Class B fires involve flammable liquids and gases. This includes chemicals and grease.
Types of fire extinguishers used to extinguish a class B fire:
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) extinguisher
- General purpose, pressurized dry chemical ABC extinguisher
- NEVER use water on a class B or C fire since this will only increase the hazard.
- A fire involving electrical equipment reverts to a Class A or Class B fire IF the electricity is turned off at the source.
- CO2 may be preferred because it does not leave a corrosive residue.
- CO2 extinguishers can become extremely cold and cause cold burns if not handled properly.