Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Definitions, calculations, and red cell distribution histogram interpretations
- Red Blood Cell (RBC) Indices: Definitions and Calculations
- Red Blood Cell Distribution Width (RDW): Definition and Calculation
- Interpretation of Red Blood Cell (RBC) Histograms
- The hematology laboratory is experiencing instrument downtime. The laboratory has a back-up method for hemoglobin and hematocrit testing that is being...
- Which of the following formulas will provide the value that reflects the average cell volume in a blood sample?
- A complete blood count is performed. The white blood cell count is elevated and a manual differential is required. The technologist evaluates the red ...
- A technologist is evaluating a blood smear. The technologist notices variability in cell size. Which parameter from the automated blood count would co...
- Red blood cell morphology correlated with automated measured and calculated parameters
- Red Blood Cell (RBC) Size Variation
- Red Cell Distribution Width (RDW) Correlated with Peripheral Smear
- Red Blood Cell (RBC) Color Variation
- RBC Size and Color Descriptions
- Red Blood Cell Parameters Correlated with Red Blood Cell Morphology, Summary
- A technologist is working with a student on the teaching microscope. There is a micrometer for measurement of microscopic items. Each of the statement...
- The image on the right is a representative field from a peripheral blood smear. What characteristics would describe the red cell distribution curve th...
- The image on the right is a representative field from a peripheral blood smear. Which of the following MCV values correlates best with the peripheral ...
- Using indices and RDW to morphologically classify anemias
- Anemia Defined and Classified
- Morphologic Classification of Anemias
- Pathophysiologic Classification of Anemias
- An 18 year old female has a CBC performed as part of a routine physical exam. The following results are obtained and the physician determines she is a...
- A patient presents with fatigue. The CBC results are:ParameterValueReference IntervalWhite blood cells (WBC)5.7 x 109/L4.0-10.0 x 109/LRed blood cells...
- Match each anemia listed below with the mechanism for the anemia.
- A patient presents with the following measured parameters on the complete blood count:ParameterValueReference IntervalWhite blood cells (WBC)5.6 x 109...
- The image on the right is a representative field from a peripheral blood smear. What would you expect to see on the automated blood count?
- The significance of delta checks as it relates to red blood cell indices.
- Delta Check Alerts Using Red Blood Cell Indices
- An automated CBC produced the following parameters: ParameterValueReference IntervalWhite blood cells (WBC)5.6 x 109/L4.0-10.0 x 109/LRed blood cells ...
Level of instruction: Intermediate
Target audience: Medical laboratory scientists, medical laboratory technicians, and MLS students.
Author information: Sheryl A. Whitlock, MA.Ed, MT(ASCP)BB is the Laboratory Coordinator, Student Health Services at the University of Delaware. She also works as a microbiology and hematology technologist at Union Hospital in Maryland. Sheryl received her Masters in Education from Beaver College. She has written and contributed to numerous online and print articles in the field of laboratory medicine.
Reviewer information: Barbara Cebulski, MS, MLS(ASCP) has over 40 years of experience in the medical laboratory profession as a technologist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. She was an Inspection and Technical Specialist for nine years with the College of American Pathologists in the Laboratory Accreditation Program and, until her retirement in 2015, was Program Director for MediaLab, Inc. Barbara holds a Masters in Instructional Technology from Georgia State University.
Content information: This course discusses the use of red cell indices and red cell distribution width to describe a population of red blood cells. The course provides information regarding interpretation of red cell histograms that are part of the automated cell count and correlations between indices, RDWs, and peripheral blood smear observations.