Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Six aims of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) to improve health care quality.
- State of Healthcare Quality
- Six Domains of Healthcare Quality as Defined by the National Academy of Medicine (NAM)
- Improving Effectiveness
- Patient-Centered Care and Timeliness
- Preventing Medical Errors Through Patient Involvement
- Efficiency and Equity
- According to the National Academy of Medicine (NAM), quality healthcare systems in the United States should be __________________ ?
- IOM aims within the context of quality clinical laboratory services.
- Clinical Laboratory Services and Safety
- How might patient harm result from each of these problems related to clinical laboratory services? Consider your answer and then click on the defined ...
- Clinical Laboratory Services and Effectiveness
- Clinical Laboratory Services and Patient-Centered Care
- Clinical Laboratory Services and Timeliness
- Clinical Laboratory Services and Efficiency
- Clinical Laboratory Services and Equity
- Which of the following best defines "effective clinical laboratory services?"
- Recognizing problems (errors) that could occur in each phase of the total testing process
- Outcomes of patient safety errors with respect to clinical laboratory services.
- Sources of data to identify errors and patient outcomes
- Patient Safety Goals
Level of Instruction: Intermediate
Intended Audience: Medical laboratory professionals
Author Information: Garland E. Pendergraph, PhD, JD, MLS(ASCP)SM, HCLD/CC(ABB) received his MSPH from the University of Kentucky in Lexington, his PhD in medical parasitology/entomology and mycology from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and his law degree with a concentration in health care law from Concord Law School, Purdue University. He also did a Fellowship in Tropical Medicine at Louisiana State University School of Medicine. He is the author of a textbook in phlebotomy, a number of scientific articles, plus internet training programs. He is the director of five laboratories.
Reviewer Information: Alexandru Casapu, MBA, MLS(ASCP)CM, PBTCM has over 20 years of experience as a medical laboratory scientist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. He is the former Director of Clinical Laboratory Technology Program at Georgia Piedmont Technical College. He is currently a Program Director at MediaLab, Inc. Alexandru holds BS degrees in Biology and Medical Technology from Clark Atlanta University and a MBA from the University of Georgia.