Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Introduction to Organizations and Agencies
- Certification, Accreditation, and Membership Organizations
- Certification Organizations
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
- American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB)
- American Board of Pathology (ABPath)
- ASCP and AMT both require continuing education to maintain certification.
- Accreditation Organizations
- College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Commission on Office Laboratory Accreditation (COLA)
- CAP is the accreditation organization specifically for blood banking and transfusion services.
- Professional Membership Only Organizations
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS)
- Neither ASCLS nor AACC provide certification, but they provide or accredit educational programs.
- Organization Summary
- Summary of Certification, Accreditation, and Professional Organizations
- Organizations that Accredit Laboratory Educational Programs
Level of Instruction: Basic
Intended Audience: This course is intended as an elementary introduction to the regulations of and agencies related to a medical laboratory. It assumes that the learner has little or no background in medical practice or clinical laboratory science. It is ideal for those who desire an introduction to the operation and function of the laboratory, and the qualifications and mindset of those professionals who staff it. This course would be ideal for those contemplating a career in any clinical laboratory field, sales representatives who will be visiting clients in the laboratory, and need an introduction to provide context for their future sales contacts, and anyone else who has an interest in the field and desires an introduction.
Author Information: Julia Clendenin is a content and graphics developer for MediaLab, Inc. She graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology with a B.S. in Biochemistry and a B.S. in Literature, Media, and Communication.
Paul Fekete, M.D. is the CEO of MediaLab, Inc. He was formerly Assistant Professor of Pathology at Emory University, and was Director of Laboratories for Gwinnett Health System, near Atlanta. Dr. Fekete has extensive experience teaching, and is the author of numerous journal articles, and several book chapters. He additionally has extensive experience in instructional design.
Reviewer Information: Alexandru Casapu, MBA, MLS(ASCP)CM, PBTCM has over 20 years of experience as a medical laboratory scientist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. He is the former Director of Clinical Laboratory Technology Program at Georgia Piedmont Technical College. He is currently a Program Director at MediaLab, Inc. Alexandru holds BS degrees in Biology and Medical Technology from Clark Atlanta University and an MBA from the University of Georgia.
Rory Huschka, M. Ed., MT(ASCP), has over 20 years of experience as a medical technologist, technical supervisor, professor, and manager. He is the former Program Director of the Medical Laboratory Science and Medical Laboratory Technician Programs at Brookline College. He is currently a Program Director at MediaLab, Inc. Rory holds a BS degree in Medical Technology from North Dakota State University and a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership.