Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Overview of HIPAA
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- What is the HIPAA Privacy Rule?
- What Information is Protected?
- The HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Complaints Regarding HIPAA Non-compliance
- Individual's Rights Under HIPAA
- HIPAA Enforcement
- Administrative Requirements
- Physical Safeguards
- Administrative Safeguards
- Technical Safeguards
- Fax Machines
- Case Study: Incidental disclosures and safeguards. As a manager, you guided a group of high school students through your clinical laboratory during a...
- Case Study: Accessing PHI: You are answering the office phone today. A person claiming to be a patient, whose voice you do not recognize, calls deman...
- Notification Exemption
- Limiting Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Case Study: Authorization You are working in a physician's office. The doctor orders laboratory and other diagnostic tests on a patient with suspecte...
- Case Study: Limiting Use & Disclosure of PHI You are the customer service representative in a clinical laboratory. You get a call from a nurse at ...
- Minimum Necessary Use and Disclosure
- Case Study: Minimum Necessary Use and Disclosure You are a ward clerk responsible for inserting laboratory reports into patients' medical records (ch...
- Case Study: Minimum Necessary Use & Disclosure You are a phlebotomist at a specimen collection center. A patient arrives with orders for a blood ...
- Business Associate Agreement
- Business Associates And the Privacy Rule
- HIPAA Breach Notification Rule
- HIPAA Breach Notification Rule, continued
- Case Study: Business AssociateYour laboratory's accreditation agency will be sending inspectors/surveyors to inspect the laboratory within the next th...
- De-Identified Health Information
- Case Study: De-identified Health Information. You work in a laboratory microbiology department that provides a local nursing home with information abo...
- HIPAA Security Rule
- What is the HIPAA Security Rule?
- What is Electronic PHI (ePHI)?
- Security Officer
- Administrative Safeguards
- Case Study: Administrative Safeguards You are the technologist in charge of the hematology section in a hospital laboratory. The laboratory manager a...
- Physical Safeguards: Access Controls
- Physical Safeguards: Storage and Disposal of Media
- Case Study: Physical Safeguards
You are a supervisor of a health clinic. During orientation of a new employee, you instruct him to keep the door le...
- Technical Safeguards: System Access Control
- Technical Safeguards: Passwords
- Protection Against Viruses and Malicious Software.
- E-mail Security
- Case Study: Technical SafeguardsYou are given several sets of logins and passwords to access various information systems. The login is your own first ...
- Follow your own Facilities' Policies and Procedures.
Intended Audience: All health care personnel
Level of Instruction: Basic
Author Information: Debbie Sabatino has over 20 years of progressive technical, operational, business development and risk management experience in the health care field. Currently, she is the Senior Manager, Enterprise Risk at McMaster University. Previously, she held the position of Director, Privacy for MDS Laboratory Services, which includes both Canadian and US Operations. As privacy expert for the organization, Ms. Sabatino is responsible for the development, implementation and ongoing success of the Laboratory Services privacy program as well as the company’s global privacy approach. Debbie is a member of the International Association of Privacy Officers (IAPO), and the Conference Board of Canada Chief Privacy Officers Council.
Paul Fekete, MD is Medical Director for MediaLab, Inc. He was formerly Assistant Professor of Pathology at Emory University, and was Director of Laboratories for Gwinnett Health System, near Atlanta. Dr. Fekete has extensive experience teaching, and is the author of numerous journal articles, and several book chapters. He additionally has extensive experience in instructional design.
Reviewer information: Maria C. Graña, MT(ASCP)SHCM is the Hematology Laboratory Manager at Baptist Hospital of Miami, Miami, Florida. She is certified as a Quality Auditor by ASQ.