Technologists fulfill assigned supervisory responsibilities as needed and as authorized. Other duties include:
- Performing only those tests authorized by the director and for which the technologist is licensed by specialty.
- Interpretation of clinical laboratory test results
- Following the laboratory's procedure for specimen handling, running tests, reporting results, and maintaining records
- Participating in proficiency testing and demonstrating that proficiency samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples
- Following quality control and instrument calibration policies
- Documenting corrective action taken when results exceed the laboratory's acceptable performance values
- Using professional judgment to ensure test validity, including recollecting and retesting samples that may be flawed or contaminated
A full list of a technologist’s responsibilities may be found at Fla. Admin. Code Ann. r. 64B3-13.003.