Home Products Most Popular Contact
No items in your cart.
The page below is a sample from the LabCE course Tickborne Diseases. Access the complete course and earn ASCLS P.A.C.E.-approved continuing education credits by subscribing online.

Learn more about Tickborne Diseases (online CE course) »
How to Subscribe
MLS & MLT Comprehensive CE Package
Includes 123 CE courses, most popular
$95 Add to cart
Pick Your Courses
Up to 8 CE hours
$50 Add to cart
Individual course$20 Add to cart

Anaplasma bloodsmear/CDC

Anaplasmosis: Laboratory Diagnosis

The gold standard for anaplasmosis diagnosis is PCR on whole blood in the first week. IgG antibody titers by IFA in paired serum samples (first week and 2-4 weeks later) are positive also.
Identification of morulae in granulocytic leukocytes and a single positive IFA titer are considered diagnostic. The morulae are deep blue to grey-blue coccobacilli, arranged in spherical groups within the cytoplasm of granulocytes. In a retrospective study of 14 confirmed cases, morulae were identified in 11 (79%) cases before counting 100 granulocytes. The remaining three cases (21%) had morulae identified when 200 granulocytes were examinined. More morulae are seen in anaplasmosis than in erhlichiosis.
Immunohistochemical (IHC) staining in a biopsy or autopsy samples is diagnostic. Culture of A. phagocytophilum from a clinical specimen can be performed in HL60 cell culture.
Clinicians should consider coinfections with Babesia or B. burgdorferi.