Internal Transport of EVD Specimens Within a Healthcare Facility
- PPE to be worn during transport within the facility should be determined by a site-specific risk assessment, and may vary among facilities. Recommendations for PPE include disposable fluid-resistant closed lab coat, disposable gloves, covered legs and closed-toed shoes.
- Before removing patient specimens from the site of care, it is advisable to plan the route of the sample from the patient area to the location where it will be packed for shipping in order to avoid high traffic areas.
- Before removing patient specimens from the site of care, the outside of the specimen containers should be decontaminated with an approved disinfectant. Recommended disinfectants are those known to kill non-enveloped viruses
- In compliance with OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Standard, specimens should be placed in a durable, leak-proof secondary container.
- After placing in a secondary container, specimens should be hand-carried to the laboratory or packing area. DO NOT use any pneumatic tube system (automated or vacuum specimen delivery system) for transporting specimens.