Fax Machines may be used to transmit PHI, provided you are in compliance with your own institution's policies and procedures.
To minimize the risk of misdirected faxes:
- Preprogram fax machines with frequently used destination numbers.
- Double check accuracy when faxing to numbers that are not preprogrammed.
- Always include a confidentiality statement on the cover page.
- Check transmittal confirmation after each fax, to ensure that the information was sent to the correct number.
- Do not leave the original report on the fax machine.
- Report fax errors to your supervisor or other designated person.