Physical safeguards include the physical aspects of protecting ePHI, and are of course comparable to similar safeguards discussed with the Privacy regulation. Examples of would include:
- Limiting access to facilities where ePHI is being used by:
- Locking doors in work areas
- Wearing your ID badge at all times
- Limiting visitor access
- Limiting access to workstations with ePHI by:
- Turning computer screens away from view.
- Locking up or otherwise securing laptops and PDAs.
- Taking special precautions to secure workstations in public areas.