Recommended Steps for Choosing an Automation System
- Perform a complete evaluation of the laboratory workflow and current processes.
- Identify bottlenecks and sources of error that could be improved through standardization and automation.
- Evaluate individual vendor systems and instrumentation to determine which might best meet the unique needs of the laboratory.
- Evaluate whether an open or closed system will provide the best solutions for efficiency, yet provide flexibility for future changes and/or growth.
- Involve staff in the evaluation and allow them to voice opinions on ease of use. Participation in decision-making increases ownership.
- Visit vendor installations at other facilities that have implemented potential selections to determine the level of satisfaction and success experienced with a particular vendor's system or instrumentation.
- Request instrument and system demonstrations in your own laboratory.
- Evaluate training and implementation support that may be provided by the vendor when making final selections.