While microwave use in the laboratory is considered to be relatively safe, the following safety precautions should be taken to prevent high doses of exposure to microwaves and personal injury:
- Periodically inspect and clean door seals and hinges.
- Use a microwave leakage detector to check for microwave leakage from the door seals on a regular basis.
- Always handle containers with potholders or thermal mitts.
- Never operate the microwave without a minimum volume of microwave-absorbing material inside the container.
- Never heat food in a microwave oven used for laboratory procedures.