The HIV/AIDS Bureau has also compiled a list of activities that can help to control and reverse the stigma and attitudes associated with HIV/AIDS patients. Some of these activities include:
- Familiarize yourself with applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.
- Support and engage other agencies in promoting confidentiality and nondiscrimination.
- Promote community development and mobilization.
- Use public education opportunities to put a human face on AIDS.
- Support HIV prevention education materials developed by and for communities.
- Maintain a proactive presence in the community (e.g., in schools, at health fairs, at World AIDS Day, and at National HIV Testing Day events).
- Involve and support families and communities (infected and affected).
- Communicate that HIV-related discrimination is illegal.
Identify and support one or more staff members in the role of consumer advocate.