One-on-one (1:1) meetings are important for both managers and direct reports. As leaders in any laboratory role, 1:1 meetings are a chance to practice communication skills and emotional intelligence, and build positive, trusting work relationships.
1:1 meetings provide an opportunity to practice:
- managing up
- providing constructive feedback
- closed-loop communication
- relationship management
- communication expectations
The benefits of 1:1 meetings include:
- building a positive trusting relationship between managers and direct reports
- increase employee engagement knowing they have a protected time to discuss things that are important to them
- building a culture of communication
- developing the leadership skills of employees
Some may think they don't have time for 1:1 meetings especially in a busy laboratory setting, however studies have shown that spending the time on 1:1 meetings will limit the amount of times a manager is interrupted for questions, will boost employee engagement and productivity, and will help to proactively identify and resolve issues.
1:1 meetings are meant to supplement the annual evaluations so managers and employees feel more connected.