Specimen Collection Procedure
- Following the approved order of draw, connect the first blood collection tube onto the needle by pushing the tube into the holder so that the tube stopper is pierced by the exposed end of the needle. Use the flanges of the holder to stabilize the needle while connecting the tube.
- After tube is filled completely, remove the tube, again using the flanges of the holder to stabilize the needle.
- Replace with the next tube and mix the removed tube immediately if it contains an additive.
- Release the tourniquet when blood enters the final tube.
- When the last tube is filled, pull it back off the needle before removing the needle from the vein.
- Remember: Fill tubes in correct order and to correct volume. If you suspect that a tube did not adequately fill, try another tube.