The laboratory should not offer or provide free testing to any individual in a position to make or control referral for laboratory services:
- The laboratory may write off charges only when laboratory errors in billing or testing occur.
- Sales and marketing personnel cannot offer free testing in any form unless approved by the compliance officer.
- Free testing for indigent patients must be approved by the Compliance Officer.
- Sales and marketing personnel cannot offer or give anything of value to a customer or potential customer beyond the usual promotional items.
- If a client solicits special consideration, it should be reported to the sales manager or compliance officer.