All tests must have a written order on file.
- Any verbal orders for tests, including tests added on to a specimen already in the lab, must be followed up by a request for a written order.
- Employee who receives a verbal or add-on order must follow procedures to ensure that a follow-up written order is requested.
- It is against Medicare regulations to bill extra for calculated test results. Only appropriate tests actually performed may be billed.
- It is against the law to bill for the same tests or services twice (duplicate billing).
- It is against the law to bill for quality control tests or tests performed multiple times to check or verify the results.