Technicians perform laboratory testing under direct and general supervision, as required by the test and the conditions of the technician's license. Technicians performing High Complexity Testing must meet the requirements as described in CLIA amendments 42 CFR 494.1489. Other duties include:
- Performing tests only as authorized by the director and the technician's licensed specialty.
- Following the laboratory's procedure for specimen handling and running tests
- Participating in proficiency testing and demonstrating that proficiency samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples
- Following quality control and instrument calibration policies
- Documenting corrective action taken when results exceed the laboratory's acceptable performance values
- Identifying potential problems with tests or report results
- Notifying a technologist or supervisor if results are outside the laboratory's acceptable performance levels
A full list of the Technician’s responsibilities may be found at Fla. Admin. Code Ann. r. 64B3-13.004.