A supervisor is the laboratory director's designee for monitoring compliance with all applicable regulations of the board and the department. The supervisor must be licensed in the technical specialty of the supervised area. Other duties include:
- Performing the duties of a technologist, if needed, in the specialty area(s) where licensure is held
- Assigning direct supervision responsibilities to licensed technologists if needed, while ensuring that direct supervision of technicians is properly performed.
- Evaluating technologists' and technicians' competency in running tests and reporting results
- Being available to all personnel to answer questions and resolve problems
- Providing day-to-day supervision of test performance, including on-site direct supervision of testing that is performed by technicians
- Ensuring that quality control is performed and corrective action taken if necessary
- Ensuring that no patient testing is reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is properly functioning
- A supervisor must be accessible to testing personnel for one third of the hours of laboratory operation. Labs operating for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, require a minimum of 40 hour per week presence
A complete list of the supervisor’s responsibilities may be found at Fla. Admin. Code Ann. r. 64B3-13.002.